[linux-elitists] Pompous Top 10 List

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jun 7 12:51:42 PDT 2001

begin Brooklyn Linux Solutions quotation of Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:00:49PM -0400:

> I've been doing a lot of testing with VPN for a client.  PTP though ssh
> rediction and SMB really seems too slow.

How far can the quick-and-dirty "PPP over SSH" scale?  It might
be good for the occasional sysadmin with a laptop, but for large
numbers of home office users all trying to get to the database or
the file server, you might need a "real" VPN.

The proprietary VPN vendors are going to see _huge_ revenue when WiFi
seriously takes market share away from hard-wired Ethernet next year.

Lots of vendors listed at http://www.vpnc.org/features-chart.html,
and of course there's always http://freeswan.org/

> I want to sell Linux workstations designed around sound and video
> recording.....and video streams - at a fraction of current costs...

Current costs are pretty small.  Stop in at Guitar Center or
some other musicians' discount store and take a look at hard
disk recorders -- those suckers are _cheap_ (some under $1000)
and pretty close to a studio-in-a-box already.  Example:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/august99/Fostex-web.shtml

http://zgp.org/~dmarti    -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.
dmarti@zgp.org    Free the Web, burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/