[linux-elitists] [Fwd: FC: Florida police reportedly harass anti-MS Linux protestes]

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Mon Jun 4 07:24:51 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 02:29:02PM +0200, Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:59:30 -0400
> From: robin <robin@roblimo.com>
> Subject: Clearwater Allows Scientology, not Linux, Evangelism

[... snip! good MS bullying coverage ...]

> It's amusing, really, to think that Scientologists are allowed to spread
> their material and philosophy freely in Clearwater while Linux advocates
> are not allowed to do the same thing, at least while Microsoft is in
> town.
[...]
> Is it possible that Microsoft has been infiltrated by Scientologists?

Funny though this may seem, the anti-scientologist angle actually
(IMHO) cheapens a powerful point: MS screwed up and created one of the
single most powerful PR moments that Linux has ever had... and we blew
it!

I heard nothing about this in the mainstream press. No one pushed the
issue with the guards. No one *asked* them to please call the police
to resolve the dispute. No one called the mainstream media. No one got
the "look, look, I'm being repressed!" sound-byte into the public
hive-mind.

Microsoft will win this OS battle like it has won all others, not
because they have better technology, more power, more speed, better
speakers... but, because they plan ahead and manipulate the media and
industry events to their own PR favor. :-(

--
Aaron Sherman
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: