[linux-elitists] (forw) Re: Please help Josef Grosch and the Bay Area FreeBSD User Group

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 29 10:03:15 PDT 2001

I'm re-sending this, just in case Josef's post wasn't accepted because
he wasn't a list-member.  Downey appears to be off the hook on this one
-- assuming he follows through, and isn't just bullshitting.

However, one suspects that misappropriating other people's domains and
holding them up for cash is an ongoing scam of Downey's.  I intend to
keep an eye out for more of the same.

----- Forwarded message from Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com> -----

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:49:14 -0700
From: Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Cc: svlug@svlug.org, linux-elitists@zgp.org
Subject: Re: Please help Josef Grosch and the Bay Area FreeBSD User Group

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 12:19:41AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> One of our community needs _your_ help.
>
> Josef Grosch, whom some of you know from InstallFests, runs the site for
> our FreeBSD sister group, BAFUG.  BAFUG's domain has just been...
> stolen... and I use the term after due consideration, by a sleazemeister
> named Aaron Downey / Virtual Shopper, Inc., apparently operating out of
> the San Francisco Mission District.
>
> This putz actually has the unbelievable gall to want Josef to make him
> an offer to _buy_ the group's domain back from him!
>
> I'm just betting that _some_ of you know how to make this guy's life a
> living hell.  And that is a good thing.  I'm not telling you what to do;
> I'm just looking forward to people being creative.

Good news! I just got a call from Aaron Downey. He claims that register.com
screwed this up and that he has directed his network administrator to work
with register.com to fix the problem. So if you were planing on emailing
Mr. Downing. please DO NOT. It looks like the problem is being
fixed. Thanks for all you support.

Again, DO NOT contact Aaron Downey, bafug.org is being returned.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org

----- End forwarded message -----