[linux-elitists] Next Round of Free Dmitry Protests: Monday July 30 2001

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri Jul 27 04:04:24 PDT 2001

Mr . Bad writes:

> - Be ready to CALL THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA ON THE CARPET!
>   Be prepared to GIVE THEM A PIECE OF YOUR MIND!  Tell these folks to
>   DROP THE CASE because the DMCA is an UNJUST LAW!  DEMAND that they
>   return this man to his family PRONTO!

By the way, unless Nick wants to be the character in my famous
"inimicus curiae" cartoon, the people who are being called on the
carpet are the office of the Acting U.S. Attorney for the Northern
District of California.  That office is distinct from the (U.S.
District Court for the) Northern District of California, which is what
lawyers will think you're talking about if you say "Northern District
of California".

Every judicial district has an associated court (which is what's meant
if you say "District of Foo"), an associated public prosecuter ("Foo
District's U.S. Attorney", "U.S. Attorney for Foo District"), and an
associated public defender ("Federal Public Defender for Foo District",
"Foo District Federal Public Defender"), among other things.

There are also other weird things like the Attorney General and the
Solicitor General.  It is the Solicitor General's job to be extremely
worried about everything.  No, just kidding.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org>  | Lending, printing, copying, giving
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/  | and text-to-speech are permissions