[linux-elitists] Declan McCullagh: FC: Geeks want to "Free Dmitry" -- but Congress says keep him in jail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 25 10:43:01 PDT 2001

on Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 09:54:49AM -0700, Ben Woodard (ben@valinux.com) wrote:
> Did you guys see this in politech?

Yes, I saw that.

I've also been kicking around ideas of how to get some political
groundswell going for this.  I'll draft up a congresscritter letter
myself, welcome others.  Note that snail mail may have more impact than
email (several recent articles on this in various venues).  Faxes also
have an impact.

I'm serious about setting myself up as the fall guy for this to take the
hit, arrest, and jail time, if that's what it takes (and if I know y'all
are behind me on this ;-).

Idea:  code up an implementation of Sklyarov's content extractor,
demonstrate it on an eBook copy of the US Constitution, and distribute
source.  Under my name.  That should have a good spin to it.  Anyone on
this list have access to an eBook encoder?

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!