[linux-elitists] Future of Adobe

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Tue Jul 24 11:04:12 PDT 2001

    RF> What Adobe said they were going to do:

    RF>   "Adobe will continue to protect its copyright interests and
    RF> those of its customers."

    RF> For Yet Another Adobe-is-a-bunch-of-hapless-bagbiters article,
    RF> see http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/7/24/21255/9332

How the hell are we supposed to get a movement up to make this happen?
"Change Adobe's Mind!" "Adobe Must Convert!" "Adobe: Promise Never
Again." Nobody else is converting, why should Adobe? How the hell do
you get a corporation to make a commitment to the future, counter to
its own interests?

Are you thinking practically, or are you just thinking morally? Who
gives a shit about morals? "Adobe was bad, they must admit their
badness and change their ways." Who cares? Adobe is not a person. We
are not concerned with the soul of Adobe Systems. It is an animal of
nebulous form, and all we should worry about is beating it with sticks
to make it go where we want.

So, seriously, Rus, where do you _want_ it to go? What do you want
Adobe to do, and how are you going to make that happen? How are you
going to interest hundreds of geeks and non-geeks in this movement?

There _are_ some possibilities, but you need to focus on them if you
actually care. One idea that is often floated in anti-patent debates
is that of forming a loose coalition of companies opposed to software
patents, and encouraging companies to join it.

A similar org could be formed around opposition to the DMCA. Along
with getting our own companies to join (a good first test, eh?), we
could put pressure on particularly egregious offenders, like Adobe, to
change their ways and join the cause. Although there would be nothing
stopping them from using the DMCA even within an organization, it's a
bit more firm than just a vague promise.

All said, it's important to realize that we have limited attention,
funds, time, and people. Spending any time on making Adobe "pay" or
making Adobe "repent" is foolhardy. We need to get Dmitry Sklyarov out
of jail, and Adobe has conceded all we can get out of them to make
that happen.

~Mr. Bad

 Mr. Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org> | Pigdog Journal | http://pigdog.org/