[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: FC: Adobe bows to pressure, recommends release of Russian hacker]

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Tue Jul 24 06:35:53 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 06:08:39AM -0400, Rusty Foster wrote:

> P.S.: Look Ma! I'm criticizing the EFF for rolling over! Why isn't
> anyone else?

As someone pointed out on /., the EFF's role here is to get Dmitry
out of jail, and back home where he belongs.

Getting Adobe to back down from the case makes it *much* easier for the
EFF to get the Feds to do the same.

To do anything else, in the interests of a) embarassing Adobe or b)
getting precident against the DMCA would be a wonton abuse of
Dmitry's rights (remember, the guy sitting in a jail cell?) and an
abuse of our system of law. We will prevail over the terrible turn
in our government's view of corporate rights (e.g. the "right to
profit"), but we needn't do so at the expense of Dmitry and his
family.

The EFF brokered the correct first step for him, not for the
anti-DMCA movement.

--
Aaron Sherman
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: