[linux-elitists] Spam filter catches Dmitry mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 21 16:03:33 PDT 2001

on Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 01:17:53PM -0400, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 09:00:41AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > Silly spam filter...we're not talking about free as in beer, we're
> > talking about free as in Dmitry.
>
> First off my appologies. I will modify my filters so that they don't
> send to l-e. This was something I just did yesterday.

My own experience is that autoresponders are more trouble than they're
worth.  The spammers don't care (or don't receive the spam), the
misfires get you in a lot of hot water.  Best bet:  filter and apply a
manual (or semi-automatic) process to spam.

I've used 'spam.pl' and 'ricochet', both perl-based scripts fro
disposing of spam.  Under Mutt, it's possible to tag a slew of messages
and hit them all in one swell foop.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!