[linux-elitists] This list (fwd)

Thu Jul 19 05:24:28 PDT 2001

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:48:22 -0600 (MDT)
From: Rod Oldehoeft <rro@lanl.gov>
To: extreme-linux@extremelinux.org
Subject: This list

This list has indeed been dormant for a long time.

When Pete Beckman was with LANL we started EL up, and had small
developer forums and meetings in association with USENIX.
It was started when using Linux on large clusters for
high-performance technical computing was "extreme."

Pete is now with Turbolinux, and is a very busy guy with little
time to maintain this .org; turbolinux.org resides elsewhere.

We did have a developer forum in February, but the output never
was posted on the web pages.  There the consensus was to remain
true to Extreme: vanilla Beowulf clusters are Not Extreme Enough
(have they ever been?), and putting Linux in NVRAM (www.linuxbios.org)
is No Longer Extreme Enough, as examples.  Linux in Space, Linux in
the Very Small, Really Big Systems with Constant Build and Maintain
Costs may still be Extreme Enough.  Still considering other categories
that fit the Extreme definition.

--
| Rod Oldehoeft, Acting Group Leader     | Voice: 505/665-3663 |