[linux-elitists] linux kits for kids? (MS licensing zaps AU charity) (fwd)

Wed Jul 18 04:29:28 PDT 2001

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:44:38 -0700
From: Strata Rose Chalup <strata@virtual.net>
To: fork@xent.com
Subject: linux kits for kids? (MS licensing zaps AU charity)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/2001/07/14/FFXAPVFU2PC.html

I saw this article on a social list today.  Summary-- Microsoft has
told an Australian charity, PCs for Kids, that they can no longer
distribute refurb'd PC's given to them by companies who have site
license for MS products and/or OS's.  The charity has to buy licenses
like everybody else, despite the fact that "in all cases the software
in dispute is becoming obsolete and is no longer supported by
Microsoft".

Aren't there several projects out there, and perhaps at least one
actually WORKING one, to do an education/kid-oriented desktop and
toolset in Linux, usable by generic laypersons?

It would be a mitzvah, as well as a lovely piece of PR, to hook
this charity up with some helpers and some working software so
that they can get kids computing without the Big M.

Reply to me, I'll summarize if I get useful responses.

_SRC