[linux-elitists] My Mom Runs Linux

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 17 18:41:20 PDT 2001

on Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 07:37:22PM -0700, Mr. Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org) wrote:
> Hey, so, here's this little ad blurb I get from slashdot every day:
>
> ---8<---
>       Slashdot Daily Headline Mailer
>
> How long before Mom is running Linux? Your answer is out there. [Out
> *where*?]  Solutions, the IBM Technical Developer Conference is coming
> to San Francisco August 13-16. Choose from more than 370 hours of
> elective and hands-on
> sessions. http://www.ibm.com/events/solutionsevent/r/exslash1a
>
> Sponsored by IBM
> ---8<---
>
> Despite the fact that this particular cliche is kind of insulting to
> women in general and moms in particular ("Mom don't hack"), I think
> we're well past the point where everybody should be able to have a
> Linux desktop.
>
> And I was thinking to myself, hey, self, wouldn't it be cool to have a
> Web site devoted to helping your Mom make the switch over to Linux? So
> I registered "mymomrunslinux.org", and I'm seeking some help.
>
> I think it'd be cool to have a Linux-For-Moms-HOWTO available on the
> site to give some step-by-step advice on how to get your Mom's Linux
> box to work.
>
> And it'd also be cool to have case studies, or better yet just plain
> old STORIES, about helping Mom switch. Maybe with pictures of Linux
> lovers, and their moms, and their great Linux boxes, and maybe some
> hardware and software profiles of the boxes.
>
> So here's the help I need: does anyone have a mom running Linux? Wanna
> send me a picture? Wanna send me a story?
>
> ~Mr. Bad
>
> P.S. If you think moms aren't elite, well, you've been hanging out
> with the wrong kind of moms.

One of the projects at a recent stay at my parents' house was to
configure the (already dual-booting) system such that they could have a
choice of Win98/AOL or GNU/Linux with a Mindspring/Earthlink (c'mon,
guys, which is it).  My desktop of choice was WindowMaker, with gmc to
provide a point-and-drool desktop and filesystem navigation widget.
Three dock tiles provide Internet connection, email (Postilion -- big,
friendly, buttons), and web (Mozilla).  Less AOL crud, faster connection
(had to ditch the 28.8 WinModem for a 56kbps jumpered job), more stable,
remotely adminable (below), and they can keep their stuff (mom, dad)
separate (though that's a little high tech for them).

Plans are to migrate to Galeon, and possibly a KDE desktop.  However,
neither are in the current stable Debian release.  Yes, unstable and
testing are *more* than stable enough in most cases (what the hell do
you think I run, eh?), but I figured it's best to keep hassles to a
minimum.  Remote admin is also a built-in -- the system phones home --
well, drops me a line -- when it dials up.

Dumb question:  any one know of a free-software command-line email
client which emulates in any way, shape, or form, the EMC2 mainframe
corporate package?  This is what my dad was used to, and might actually
like.

Now to see which they prefer....

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!