[linux-elitists] GPL Violation: NuSphere

Jeremy Zawodny Jeremy@Zawodny.com
Sun Jul 15 21:29:43 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:23:32AM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:

> It seems to me, from what I've understood from both talking to
> NuSphere since the NYC convention, and Monty @ mysql, that indeed,
> NuShpere's Gemini product is a violation of the GPL, as Monty
> contends.

I've been told that they plan to release the source on mysql.org
Monday.  We'll see if that still happens.  I think some of their
public e-mail even mentioned it.

> NuSphere certain made it sound like they were hacking on the MYSQL
> code base, and said as much, when they where pushing their Gemini
> extentions in the classes they gave at the time.

True.  They stand to profit from selling Gemini and MySQL.

> That MYSQL can face a GPL challenge like this from another company
> peddling it's wares to the Free Software community is REALLY
> disheartening....and frankly, Monty Widus, one of the nicest and
> hardest working people I've ever met, really doesn't deserve being
> brought through the wringers like this.

Very true.  I have a lot of respect for Monty and David.  I've been a
big supporter of them every since I got my hands on MySQL a couple
years ago.

I hope some of this stuff gets resolved soon, or the Open Source
Convention could be a bit more combative that I'd like. :-(

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny                Web Geek, Perl Hacker, Yahoo!
http://www.zawodny.com/jzawodn/  Jeremy@Zawodny.com