[linux-elitists] Consulting rates

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 10 21:30:22 PDT 2001

on Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 03:16:29PM -0700, Seth David Schoen (schoen@loyalty.org) wrote:
> I'm going to go back and read that _Linux Journal_ article about being
> a consultant, but I thought I could ask here, too --
>
> I might be taking a Linux consulting contract soon and I haven't done work
> in that structure recently.  How can I find out what are usual consulting
> rates?

"What the market will bear".  The traditional approach is to take your
anual salary and divide by 1000 to come up with an hourly.  This assumes
a net consulting overhead of 100% -- figuring slack time, taxes,
administrative expenses, etc., it's a relatively good fit.  Tweak to
your particular situation and circumstances.  If you're getting too many
assignments, consider a higher rate, too few, lower.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!