[linux-elitists] What are the best domain name registrars?

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Tue Jul 10 13:58:28 PDT 2001

I've been pretty well pleased with joker.com for basic .com and such
registrations.  It's straightforward, cheap, and they seem to have their
act together.  And, with the strong dollar, paying for registrations in
Euros seems like a bargain.

On the other hand, some bozo at register.com once misspelled a client's
domain name, ending up with one of mine, which was still at Network
Solutions.  NSI happily transferred it to register.com without so much as a
"by your leave," leaving me with a mess that it took me about six weeks to
clean up.  Shall we say register.com was not particularly responsive?

I was left much disturbed at how easily a domain name can get yanked out
from underneath you, and glad I learned the lesson with a domain that
didn't matter much to me.  Oh, yeah, and I concluded that I wasn't much
interested in ever doing business with register.com...

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet@lwn.net