[linux-elitists] Re: Which Web services are the most bestest ones? (fwd)

Mon Jul 9 09:24:46 PDT 2001

Winer is just hopeless...

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:11:18 -0700
From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
To: Tom <tomwhore@wsmf.org>
Cc: Russell Turpin <deafbox@hotmail.com>, fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: Which Web services are the most bestest ones?

Sorry, I sincerely apologize then. I thought you didn't know because you
made uninformed statements comparing Mac to Unix. I didn't get that you
actually were informed. I was confused. I'll try to do better next time.

Anyway, as you may know, I started as a Unix developer, that's why I think
Mac OS X is a very interesting development. I made the switch to graphic
user interfaces wholeheartedly in the 1980s, but as I looked back I always
missed the scripting culture of Unix. Apple didn't want to make it (although
Jean-Louis Gassee did) so I started a company to add the missing piece to
Mac OS, an integrated scripting language.

Now, I think I agree with what you said -- scripting was bolted onto the
side of the Mac user interface, it's not the core of what the system is
built on. But I think that GUIs are non-optional. A pointing device is a
major accelerator that the command line doesn't offer.

Anyway, I don't need to respond to the assertions about spam and hogs.
That's where I thought you totally went off the deep end respect-wise.

Have a nice day.

Dave