[linux-elitists] Fundamentally flawed (fwd)

Wed Jul 4 07:41:19 PDT 2001

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:50:17 -0700
From: Benjamin Kite <ajax@ajax.org>
To: silent-tristero@world.std.com
Subject: Fundamentally flawed

----- Forwarded message from Beej Jorgensen <beej@piratehaven.org> -----

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-07-03-007-21-OP-CY-0012

  Lars Erlandsen
  Subject: Re: Mocking attitude ( Jul 3, 2001, 14:59:13 )

  > Microsoft has put the message out in rather broad strokes.
  > A reply in broad strokes is not inappropriate as an
  > attention-getter.  Once the attention is grabbed, the argument can
  > be made more concretely.

  A suggestion: Microsoft is steadily trying to convert people's (in
  particular journalists) mindset with words like 'viral'. Clever use of
  words, and something you either cannot refute, or you spend too much
  time refuting to get your own message across.

  I suggest that all references to Microsoft (by _all_ Open Source
  advocates) are prefixed with 'fundamentally flawed', i.e. "Microsoft's
  fundamentally flawed security model", "Microsoft's fundamentally
  flawed and buggy Open Direcory protocol", the "Fundamentally Flawed
  Office products". It should get column space, and eventually people
  start asking the obvious question "Why is it fundamentally flawed,
  then?". Light, camera, Action!

-Beej

----- End forwarded message -----