[linux-elitists] Science Journals Suck (fwd)

Wed Jul 4 06:09:05 PDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

> EL's forwarded messages illustrates just one aspect of the reasons
> why the transition will be slow.  There's a communication gap between
> people who are knowledgeable in the infrastructure technology and have
> been successfully using the web as it's inventor had intended, and the
> "masses" regardless of how otherwise well educated the masses are.

Tell me about it. I've been waving my tongue for years, before realizing
that the target audience simply had no clue.

But it's worse: current strategies work both for the publishing mafia and
the established science. They will protect their fishing grounds
jealously, and furthermore will attempt to discipline "traitors" (young
scientists not yet part of the machine, and hence having nothing to lose
and everything to win) from their midst.

It will take a while, meanwhile Elsevier et al. will be cashing in.
I shouldn't be actually railing against this, because Springer makes me be
able to pay my bills.

> Speeding up the process will take some honest marketing probably.
> Killer features (like the Amazon-style inference engine coupled to a
> variant of the advogato trust/credibility metric) that require massive
> amounts of data and thus semi-open access might speed this up, however.
> Anyway, we know breaking into colourful language won't help.  Maybe a

No, the target audience is a remarkably concervative bunch.

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>