[linux-elitists] Science Journals Suck (fwd)

Tue Jul 3 06:38:11 PDT 2001

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:06:46 -0500
From: Robert Buntrock <buntrock2@earthlink.net>
To: CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] Science Journals Suck (fwd)

We know from previous messages that many contributors to this list have
some rather strong opinions about several issues of interest.  However,
many of us don't necessarily appreciate the profane and otherwise
obnoxious language in this forwarded note.  In addition, although we
know where Eugene Leitl is and presumably what he does, we have no idea
who Rusty Foster is or whether he has any basis for his strongly held
opinions.

That having been said, I also question the wisdom of much of the
forwarded response.  Where doe these dissenters suggest that we find
"reputable people to agree to referee these alternative journal
articles?  Since all of these should be done as "cheaply as possible",
will this influence who we get, how good a job they'll do, or how long
they'll be willing to do it?  Although I don't like overpaying for
anything either, my family also has a saying, "Buy cheap, get cheap".
Is Rusty Foster volunteering?  Do we want him to?

Although the analogy is a little strained, who's going to bell the cat?
-- Bob Buntrock
Buntrock Associates, Inc.
(opinions mine, and also strongly held)

CHMINF-L Archives (also to join or leave CHMINF-L, etc.)
http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/chminf-l.html
Search the CHMINF-L archives at:
http://listserv.indiana.edu/scripts/wa.exe?S1=chminf-l
Sponsors of CHMINF-L: