[linux-elitists] California Copyleft Research Initiative of 2001

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Sun Jul 1 23:02:07 PDT 2001

> > likelihood, a certain amount of educated discussion of the results.
>
> I apologize if I wasn't clear, but this is certainly part of the
> "value-add" for which I was saying they're entitled to economic profit.
> So I meant to be agreeing with what you say here.

I suppose, but you really need to avoid inflammatory "so they aren't allowed
to profit from..." formatted sentences.   It destroys the image of the
freedom loving cute-and-shiny penguins we're trying to get the copyright
laden world to perceive.

> > But the point is to protect and foster the research which the paper
> > describes, so, no, they can't make it so that only the 4 labs around the
> > country who can afford the Hoi Polloi Royal Journal can benefit from
> > publicly funded efforts.
>
> I must confess to more than a little through-the-hat speaking on my
> part, as I'm not intimately familiar with the world of formal
> scientific journals and such like.  But isn't that precisely what they
> tend to do now?

the "they" in my sentence, was the future, uncertain They, for which
American English has no suitable other word.  They, the miscreants who
would violate this initiative, should it get anywhere.

And yes, that is what they do now.  One of the Genome companies basically
expressed their business model as selling access into the database.  If
anyone can copy parts of it, they might merely make thousands instead of
quadzillions of dollars.

* Heather *
And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing
what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail.  No exceptions.
		-- David Jones