[linux-elitists] why is MS not taking over the root servers?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sun Jul 1 21:45:12 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 05:50:01PM -0400, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

> I've been thinking for a while that a good MS strategy would be to
> ship copies of WinBLA or IE-bla with the resolver pointing to some MS
> servers.  The spin they would put on this would be that you can get
> domain names with spaces in them and such while the regular name
> resolution would still work by MS making recursive queries to
> DNS as we know it.  Seems to be a much easier thing to do with quicker
> results than what they seem to be trying with passport.  Would be
> legal too I suspect.  Hmm.  Why not?

Take a look at:
	http://www.new.net/

I read an article recently somewhere (can't remember where) about them,
and how most all of the big ISPs already have them in their DNS
settings.  MS is supposed to be talking to them, along with AOL, the
only current big holdouts.  Watch this...

greg k-h