[linux-elitists] California Copyleft Research Initiative of 2001

Ryan Waldron rew@erebor.com
Sun Jul 1 21:33:46 PDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Heather wrote:

> > But is this a bad thing?  Scientific publishers should not be able to
> > derive profits (in an economic sense of the word) from the activity of
> > distribution, which itself could be done for a fraction of the cost
> > via the network.  Their profits should come from their value added,

> Wrong tack.  They're perfectly welcome to make money at presenting
> the material in The Nicest Way, the most Formal Journals, etc
> ad-lilliputia.  Their value add is the formality and, in all
> likelihood, a certain amount of educated discussion of the results.

I apologize if I wasn't clear, but this is certainly part of the
"value-add" for which I was saying they're entitled to economic profit.
So I meant to be agreeing with what you say here.

> But the point is to protect and foster the research which the paper
> describes, so, no, they can't make it so that only the 4 labs around the
> country who can afford the Hoi Polloi Royal Journal can benefit from
> publicly funded efforts.

I must confess to more than a little through-the-hat speaking on my
part, as I'm not intimately familiar with the world of formal
scientific journals and such like.  But isn't that precisely what they
tend to do now?

--
Ryan Waldron    |||   http://www.erebor.com    |||    rew@erebor.com

"The web goes ever, ever on, down from the site where it began..."