[linux-elitists] California Copyleft Research Initiative of 2001

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Sun Jul 1 15:17:16 PDT 2001

    >>  Note that this may offend more people than you intend.
    >> Scientific papers usually end up in journals, and neither
    >> access nor copying is as simple as anonymous http or ftp.  GPL
    >> does not prohibit charging for distribution, but AFAIK it does
    >> prohibit the prohibition of re-distribution.  Scientific
    >> publishers would not be happy about this.

    BCEO> I'm not sure of the thread here, how is the GPL related to
    BCEO> Scientific Journals.

What I was responding to said:

    Bad>         * it's only fair that taxpayer-funded research be
    Bad> made openly available to all individuals and businesses

Product of research->papers->not open in the GPL sense->my observation.

    BCEO> In any event, the Academic Jornals hired Pat Schoeder to lie
    BCEO> about copyright and fair use and libraries and children.
    BCEO> They can just die as far as I'm concerned and be replaced
    BCEO> with httpd publishing by academic institutions directly.

I'll likely happen (w/o the goverment killing them though).

cheers,

BM