[linux-elitists] California Copyleft Research Initiative of 2001

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Sun Jul 1 13:14:10 PDT 2001

    BM> The possible MS argument is much easier to state and sell: the
    BM> GPL effectively prohibits a certain industry from using the
    BM> fruits of publicly-funded research.

    Bad> So maybe change the copyleft requirement to "public domain."

No, I don't think so.

    Bad> Actually, that'd possibly be better. Since Microsoft seems
    Bad> hip on the public domain, ALL RESEARCH must go public
    Bad> domain.

Microsoft is hip on public domain because it suits them perfectly.
If the Linux kernel was in the public domain, we could see a duly
embraced extended and closed MS-Linux.  They don't like the
GPL because they cannot touch the codebase.

    Bad> Getting an early start means that we can take
    Bad> Microsoft execs words and apply them to a new idea: all
    Bad> research must be public domain. [...]

Which they would support to kill GPL'ed work coming from graduate
students.  Let's not do that.

cheers,

BM