[linux-elitists] California Copyleft Research Initiative of 2001

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Sun Jul 1 12:23:13 PDT 2001

Mr . Bad writes:

>     BM> The possible MS argument is much easier to state and sell: the
>     BM> GPL effectively prohibits a certain industry from using the
>     BM> fruits of publicly-funded research.
>
> So maybe change the copyleft requirement to "public domain."
>
> Actually, that'd possibly be better. Since Microsoft seems hip on the
> public domain, ALL RESEARCH must go public domain. Getting an early
> start means that we can take Microsoft execs words and apply them to a
> new idea: all research must be public domain.

Just copyrights or also patents?

I can think of some patent interests and business interests that would
be pretty scared of this.  It is a pretty fundamental shift from what
some corners of universities have been doing since after World War II.

Is this "all government-funded research" or "all research in
government-funded institutions"?