[linux-elitists] Oracle Corp now writes tools for MySQL

Justin Sher justin@squinky.org
Wed Jan 31 17:21:38 PST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure moving mysql files into Oracle is a nagging question posed to them.
>
> Okay, I know MySQL sucks, but how is PostgreSQL comparable to Oracle?
> I've started with a company without any Linux clue (they do have a VAX
> and two Solaris boxen, though), and I'd like to demo a decent Linux
> server, including a database.

	Postgres is pretty good as far as relational databases go, it's
much faster than Mysql and supports row-level locking and transactions.
It's blob handling sucks though and has some leaks in it which I had to
work around.  This should be fixed in the next version.

 Justin Sher         |  "No appeal to any historical or empirical
 justin@sher.net     |   consideration can discover any fault in the