[linux-elitists] anybody using non BIND dns?

hirsch@zapmedia.com hirsch@zapmedia.com
Wed Jan 31 13:54:13 PST 2001

Emanuel Pirker writes:

 > AFAIK there is only djbdns (by Dan Bernstein, the qmail author). And
 > of course M***$*** DNS. All root name servers run BIND, however on several
 > different operating systems.
 >
 > Everything else is BIND... Would be interested if there's something other
 > available as well.

Not so!  There is Dents http://sourceforge.net/projects/dents/

To quote the blurb:

    Dents is a server implementation of the Internet's Domain name
    System. Dents main features are a modular driver architecture, a
    CORBA-based control facility, a replaceable tree system, a clean
    design and good karma.

I saw a talk by the author and it looks really interesting.  He works
(worked?) for mindspring so he was highly motivated to replace BIND.

Dents is corba based and very modular.  You can use a module that
uses a BIND compatible file, or a database, or an algorithm, or
anything you can program yourself.  And you don't need to restart it
every time you change something.

I haven't tried it myself, but I liked what I heard.

--Michael