[linux-elitists] anybody using non BIND dns?

Jason Wright peewee@scc.mi.org
Wed Jan 31 12:07:43 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:41:32PM +0100, Emanuel Pirker spewed forth:

> AFAIK there is only djbdns (by Dan Bernstein, the qmail author). And
> of course M***$*** DNS. All root name servers run BIND, however on several
> different operating systems.

at my current shop, i use djbdns for my public resolvers and bind
for my internal resolvers (rfc1918 nets).   if i'd been setting
this place up from scratch, i probably would have put in bind on
the public resolvers, but they were already running when i started,
so i swallowed my "no djb software" predjudice and left them alone.

my experience with djbdns is that it is stable and reliable under
the load that we subject it to (ie, very little load).  i literally
haven't had to think about those servers in six months, though it's
getting time to upgrade them to the current version.  bind is more
flexible and, imo, easier to use, which is why i'm running it
internally.

PeeWee

--
email: peewee@scc.mi.org - useless: http://www.scc.mi.org/peewee/ - efnet:  Pwe
by my clock, the world just ended. i haven't noticed yet but then i live in the