[linux-elitists] Microsoft and "fragile Internet"

Dan York dyork@e-smith.com
Fri Jan 26 05:53:52 PST 2001

On the Microsoft story de jour, I had to laugh about this note and the
comment from the security consultant...

MICROSOFT SITES DOWN 24 HOURS AS RESULT OF 'OPERATIONAL ERROR'
Various Microsoft Web sites, including MSN.com, MSNBC.com, and
Microsoft.com, were down about 24 hours beginning Tuesday night, and a
company spokesman emphasized that the problem was not with vandalism or
with defects in Microsoft systems: "This was an operational error, and not
the result of any issue with Microsoft or third-party products, nor the
security of our networks." Security consultant Mark Loveless remarked: "If
you look at how the Internet works at a really low level, it's a miracle
anyone can get to anything. The thing is just so fragile." (Washington Post
25 Jan 2001)
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43208-2001Jan24.html

--
Dan York, Director of Training        dyork@e-smith.com
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739