[linux-elitists] Fun benchmark du jour: khttpd vs. boa

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Thu Jan 25 15:26:27 PST 2001

Don Marti wrote:

> Interesting response to a survey I posted on Kuro5hin:
> 40% of users block some or all web ads; only 4% agree
> that "it's wrong to deny web sites their ad revenue."
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/1/21/162133/290

Note, of course, that that was a self-selecting sample. Stats indicate
that 40% of K5 readers are not blocking our ads, at any rate. Basically,
40% is absurd, and don't believe the hype.

It does tell you that more and more people will block ads in the future,
though.

> Hope Rusty starts putting the daily ad blocking ratio on his site
> soon.

Um. At this point, that wouldn't be very interesting. You see,
currently, when I compare my pageviews with the ad server's stats, it
would appear that some people are getting *extra* ads. Yeah, that's
right-- as of now, their stats are higher than mine. I'm still puzzling
on that one too.... I think someone's running a script or something.

If/when I sort that out, I'll release stats. I assume they audit them at
some point... but the picture may end up being monthly instead of daily.

> Also, Doc Searls proclaimed the Jon Katz of kuro5hin.org:
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/1/24/202917/369

Well, he keeps calling me "the real Rob Malda", which I'm pretty sure is
a veiled insult of some kind, so fair's fair. ;-)

--R
    Rusty Foster            "I should do that on Slashdot. You mention
  rusty@kuro5hin.org         Kuro5hin and I delete it! You cannot
  rusty@zelerate.org         mention our competitors!"
http://www.kuro5hin.org                  --Rob Malda [Score: 5, Funny]