[linux-elitists] Fun benchmark du jour: khttpd vs. boa

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jan 25 13:58:38 PST 2001

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:32:25PM -0800, Heather wrote:

> Some of the javascript abusers that I haven't blocked include yahoo, sun,
> and microsoft.  Tho the latter is tempting.

Why bother? From all the "Microsoft is down, neener, neener" chatter
on lesser mailing lists, they're doing a pretty good job of blocking
themselves. (I still think their problem is that they thought the
servers marked "DNS" were for the "Digital Nervous System" project and
took them down on purpose.)

> Has anybody got statistics on trying to crash them instead of trying to
> get speed out of it?  Since that's what Apache claims to aim for.

Ben Woodard was working on updating the "fuzz testing" paradigm to test
network and X applications. But I haven't heard of anybody managing to
crash boa. (Boa is most elite because it is one process, one thread,
select(2)-driven, which as we all know is much harder to do than forking
processes or spawning threads.)

> I'm sure that some of us elitists are amongst the "vanishingly small" count,
> which might upgrade it "a bit low" or maybe even "a handful" :)

You're confusing elite with elitist again. Elite is a high-performance
web server; elitist is the web server that's run by the fewest people,
is hardest to set up, has the least easy-to-read config file, or all
three.

So back to the subject of LinuxWorld: I'm a lazy-ass technology reporter
now and want to know what all the cool sessions are so I can write
them up and say "hey, go to these sessions" for the LJ site. Any
recommendations?