[linux-elitists] Fun benchmark du jour: khttpd vs. boa

Heather star@starshine.org
Thu Jan 25 13:32:25 PST 2001

> So who's going to LinuxWorld NYC?  Which parties are going to be the
> elite ones?  Jim Gleason's posse seems to be mostly in high school (Jim
> is the Fonz of Linux) so hotel parties are better than bar parties for
> Linux conferences IMHO.

Not gonna be there, too much to do this time around.  Including cough a lot.
Darn flu anyway.

> Interesting response to a survey I posted on Kuro5hin:
> 40% of users block some or all web ads; only 4% agree
> that "it's wrong to deny web sites their ad revenue."
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/1/21/162133/290

Hmm.  I just finished updating my 127.127.0.2 file from the javascript
abuse logs I've been keeping...  You could lose most of them merely by
bulk-blocking any domain whose name contains the words "sponsor" "click"
"cash" "marketing" or (they think they are so '1337) "netz".  Most of the
rest were counters.

Just to add a statistic !

Some of the javascript abusers that I haven't blocked include yahoo, sun,
and microsoft.  Tho the latter is tempting.

> Hope Rusty starts putting the daily ad blocking ratio on his site
> soon.

. . .

> article (PDF) http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/curr_iss/ci5-13.html
> NY Times story http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/25/business/25SCEN.html
>
> Oh, right, web server benchmarks. Looks like both boa and khttpd beat
> 1000 requests/second, and Apache is -- news flash -- still slow.

Has anybody got statistics on trying to crash them instead of trying to
get speed out of it?  Since that's what Apache claims to aim for.

> The number of people to whom this is relevant is vanishingly small, though.

I'm sure that some of us elitists are amongst the "vanishingly small" count,
which might upgrade it "a bit low" or maybe even "a handful" :)

* Heather * The Heineken Uncertainty Principle:
	You can never be sure how many beers you had last night.