[linux-elitists] SMDI is falling apart ahhhaaahaahaaa

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat Jan 13 19:17:53 PST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 08:31:15AM -0800, Steve M Bibayoff wrote:

> "MP3 chip maker Micronas bails out of SDMI"
> http://www.edtn.com/story/tech/OEG20010105S0006-R
>
> '"The SDMI, so far, has yielded nothing," said Rainer Hoffmann'

Well, Leonardo Chiariglione was on an SDMI panel at the Future
of Music Conference with Prof. Edward Felten, Jack Moffitt, and
Joseph Winograd, watermarking weenie.

Leonardo aggressively asserted (well, ok, shouted) his belief in his
amorality. He doesn't exult in choosing evil, or claim to have chosen
good, but defends his right to build a system without choosing. SDMI is
"just a technology." and critics are somehow holding an inquisition.

His position seems to be the opposite of "Code is Law" -- more like
"Code is Science." It's puzzling to me that a human being would give
up the claim to political or social meaning in his work, like a tiny
aquatic creature asking for the cover slip, to swim in two dimensions
instead of three.

I'm sure that there is code that is close to being pure science, but
when you get to the kinds of code that the law mentions, such as
censorware and access control systems, you're playing politics whether
you like it or not.

--
Don Marti                                    dmarti@linuxjournal.com
Technical Editor, Linux Journal                         650-962-9601