[linux-elitists] Internet.Com shut down linuxstart web hosting

Paul Dunne paul@dunne.ie.eu.org
Fri Jan 12 00:03:30 PST 2001

I thought people might be interested in this.  Note that this happened
"just like that": absolutely no notification.  I was told they were
shutting down the free e-mail, but no-one said anything about the
web-hosting.  Fortunately, I have a back-up hosting service.  Is it
me, or is this just one more instance of "Internet.Com, Inc" being as
dumb as a sack of bricks?  LinuxToday isn't what it was, for example.

08:56$ ftp members.linuxstart.com
Connected to members.linuxstart.com.
220-Notice to all LinuxStart.Com Web Hosting Members:
220-
220-Internet.Com, Inc. has forced me to shut down this service.  I'm sorry I
cannot help.
220-To complain to Internet.Com, email Kevin Reichard - kreichard@internet.com
220-
220-Garry Dolley
220-
220 ns1.filetron.com FTP server (Version wu-2.6.0(2) Tue Sep 5 12:00:05 PDT
2000) ready.
331 Password required for dunne.
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.