[linux-elitists] kernel, BT, Windows Media, Merc, Fat Albert

Robert Thomson sirrmt@dingoblue.net.au
Mon Jan 8 20:29:10 PST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 08:11:41PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 06:08:46PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > So, maybe the way to tell when the kernel gods _really_ think 2.4
> > is stable is: when do they get sufficiently bored with it that Linus
> > lets them start 2.5?
> >
> > Of course, the fact that Red Hat is _not_ shipping 2.4 says a lot
> > for its stability.

There are some known issues, yes.  One of 2.4.0's most notable was the
ext2 security bug, whose patch linus hadn't merged.  Fixed in ac1.

> WTF?
> Do you remember how long it took to get a distro to ship 2.2?  And did
> any of them ship 2.2.0 or even 2.2.1?

Actually, I seem to remember RH4 having 2.2.0 on it.  My first step
away from slackware .. Didn't take long before I found a home in Debian,
though.

Cheers,
    rmt.

--
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
	George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)