[linux-elitists] Seekrit MS trix

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Mon Jan 1 11:35:49 PST 2001

Shit, if the Win32 source code was available in the first place,
everyone would know about secret undocumented API calls to bypass
security.

I'm not sure that would be a good situation..

----- Forwarded message from Bennett Haselton <bhaselton@uswest.net> -----

From: Bennett Haselton <bhaselton@uswest.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 09:08:54 -0800
To: "Aaron Lehmann" <aaronl@vitelus.com>
Subject: Re: universal censorware-bypass program

Not sure if you got a reply to this before I had to leave for Christmas
break -- but the short answer was, because there are undocumented Win32
tricks that the program uses to get around certain types of censorware, and
it would be better for the censorware companies not to know how those
tricks work :)  I agree with the usual arguments for making software
open-source, but I don't think that they really apply here (the benefit of
opening the source wouldn't be enough to offset the harm done by having
censorware companies know exactly what the program does -- which they could
get by reverse-engineering it, but that's more work than most of them are
capable of).

	-Bennett

At 06:21 PM 12/20/00 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 05:00:09AM -0800, Bennett Haselton wrote:
>> A new program, "Peacefire", is available on our Web page that can disable
>> all popular Windows blocking programs with the click of a button --
>> released just as Congress has passed the first mandatory-blocking-software
>> bill.
>
>Why isn't it open-source?
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Re universal censorware-bypass"

bennett@peacefire.org     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 649 9024