[linux-elitists] telnet weenie frenzy!

Heather star@starshine.org
Tue Feb 27 11:32:23 PST 2001

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:23:34AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > It puts up the aforementioned warning:  It warns you when a host key
> > has never been seen before, and explains the possibility of an imposter
> > host.  And it also warns you about changed host keys, and what they
> > could mean if unexpected.
>
> OpenSSH's message when you don't have a host key could be a little
> more informative though.
>
> $ ssh allium
> Warning: Permanently added '207.20.109.236' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
>
> Other ssh clients show you the host's key signature and give you
> a chance to accept or reject it -- OpenSSH just lets you set
> StrictHostKeyChecking or not.

/me shoots a dubious glance towards openSSH

You mean it doesn't offer the middle road "pester me dammit" option?  Argh.
(Yes, I use the "pester me" option for cookies too.  It allows me to improve
my spamvertiser defenses.)

* Heather * If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
		-- Paul Beatty