[linux-elitists] telnet weenie frenzy!

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 26 23:32:47 PST 2001

begin  Joakim Ziegler quotation:

> Speaking of which, perhaps someone around here knows the answer to
> this. I run a ssh tunnel for fetchmail to get my mail from a box in
> Norway. Recently, I copied this setup to my girlfriend's freshly
> installed RedHat 7 box, which comes with a newer version of ssh, that
> supports the ssh version 2 protocol, which in turn uses DSA key pairs
> for authentication. So far, so good. But it seems to be that
> ssh-agent/ssh-add only supports unlocking RSA keys, and thus is
> unusable if you want to use the SSHv2 protocol. Is this true? Do I
> have to type the pass phrase every frigging time I want to log in?

Hmm.  ssh.com's SSH has ssh-add2 and ssh-agent2:
http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/administrator24/Using_Authentication_Agent__ssh-agent2__ssh-add2_.html

And then for OpenSSH:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh-add
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh-agent

The manpages _claim_ that ssh-add & ssh-agent both support either DSA or
RSA.

I don't know what exactly Red Hat puts in RH7:  Maybe your best bet is
to help your girlfried compile the current OpenSSH/OpenSSL from source.

--
Cheers,             We write precisely            We say exactly
Rick Moen           Since such is our habit in    How to do a thing or how