[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon Feb 26 13:13:28 PST 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Heather wrote:

> I'm terribly sorry to hear that... even more that you weren't rescued
> (else you'd call it -almost-)

Over and done with, but I just don't like hearing the word "rape" thrown
around casually.

It's rather like RMS's argument against using the word "piracy" for
software bootlegging. It is not the equivalent of piracy (which is a form
of robbery, not theft).

> Accept my apologies.  I should certainly make sure to where my chainmail
> chemise and make sure to carry my own pocketknife before inviting the RIAA
> to come and get *anything* from me personally.

Apology accepted (and thanks for apologizing publically, it really does
make a difference -- a lot of people would do it privately, which annoys
me when it was a list post).

And I understand your perspective.

> "in fear for your freedom" doesn't get such defense... in fact is more
> denigrated every day :( If things had gone poorly for me, we would
> have had to humbly beg permission to sue the government about it.
>
> Huh.  And I said I wouldn't dive into this argument.  I'm going to
> have to go get my water wings and come back, on Thursday after I'm
> done with Gazette work.

Well, we can all sing about it at Consonance.

Probably we can get Leslie to write some distressingly catchy tune about
it too.

"I've heard it once, I've heard it twice, into my brain it creeps,
 I've only heard the record thrice, now I sing it in my sleep."

(Leslie parodying herself on the old "Bayfilk Crazies" tape)

--
_Deirdre              deirdre@deirdre.net         http://www.deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams