[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Mon Feb 26 10:43:19 PST 2001

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Ben Woodard wrote:
>
> > The thing that I have never understood is why on earth they are trying
> > to win in the courts.
>
> Because it is the goal of every company to survive. This is a survive or
> not issue, thus they are behaving consistently with the "do what the
> company believes it must to survive."
>
> In this case, there are investors and this is a chance of getting their
> money back vs. being shut down completely.

I think that this is a place where you and I disagree. I think that
their hope of winning anything in the courts is really slim. I thing
that their hopes of organizing enough of a grass roots letter writing
campaign that law makers re-evaluate their position might actually
win. However, that is just the opinion of one santa cruz hippy
programmer and <sarcastic> we all know that I am a highly qualified
legal expert. People are just beating down my door to give me vast
sums of money for my astute legal counsel. </sarcastic>. Same with you? ;-)

-ben