[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Mon Feb 26 09:02:03 PST 2001

> Sorry to disagree with everyone....

This has always been a mystery to me. I don't know why Napster is
fighting this in the courts. I really agree with you that they are on
the wrong side of the law on this one. I think that their legal
arguments are pretty thin. The thing that I have never understood is
why on earth they are trying to win in the courts. It seems to me that
they should be working to politicize their userbase and build the
public outcry against the DCMA, and Micky-Mouse protection act. If 25%
of napster's users (something like 12.5 million users wrote to their
congressmen and the president telling them that they thought that the
laws were unjust and that they "weren't serving the public good". Then
there is no spin that the RIAA could put on things that would make the
congress not listen.

Call me a silly hippy but simple grass roots organizing can really
scare the shit out of polititicans.