[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Mon Feb 26 01:53:03 PST 2001

Don Marti writes:

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:18:21AM -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
>
> > My feeling is that DECREASING CD prices and INCREASING the tax on copying
> > media would better serve the public good.
>
> "Copying media" is also "work in progress media" or "archival media" for
> a band making an album and cranking out lots of high-bitrate digital
> audio. One track of CD-quality audio is about 5MB/minute, and if you
> use 20 tracks * 20 hours for an project; that's 120GB. Low-end and
> midrange studios are using IDE hard drives instead of tape today:
> http://mackie.com/hdr_web/lowcost.html
>
> How can you keep a tax on media from having a disproportionate effect on
> working musicians?

I go through about 50 CD-Rs per Bootable Business Card revision, and I
or my employer actually have a valid copyright license or hold the
copyright for all copyrighted material included there -- as far as I
know.  (As they say over in Debian, if you know otherwise, please file
a bug.)

Some people say I should use CD-RW, but I seem to be hell of lazy so
far.

Paying taxes to the RIAA on these CD-R blanks is not that much fun,
even if it's a business expense.