[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sun Feb 25 14:36:14 PST 2001

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:18:21AM -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> My feeling is that DECREASING CD prices and INCREASING the tax on copying
> media would better serve the public good.

"Copying media" is also "work in progress media" or "archival media" for
a band making an album and cranking out lots of high-bitrate digital
audio. One track of CD-quality audio is about 5MB/minute, and if you
use 20 tracks * 20 hours for an project; that's 120GB. Low-end and
midrange studios are using IDE hard drives instead of tape today:
http://mackie.com/hdr_web/lowcost.html

How can you keep a tax on media from having a disproportionate effect on
working musicians?