[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sun Feb 25 12:09:42 PST 2001

    DS> 3) I also believe that copyright holders have the absolute
    DS> right to have an interest in how their stuff is distributed.

Deirdre,

I completely agree that copyright holders have a right to manage their
"intellectual property." I happen to think that sharing and spreading
information is more important than making money off of it, and
probably more "natural" in the physics of information space.

I'd like to see more and more information producers go to Open Content
or Design Science-like licenses, but (as with software) there's no way
to force the copyright holder to make their information Free.

That said, copyright is not such an important right that it justifies
the tactics of the RIAA. You don't have to justify Rodney King's
blowing a red light in order to abhor his beating by the
LAPD. Similarly, you don't have to support "piracy" (blech word) in
order be opposed to the sue-the-Internet tactics of copyright holders
like the RIAA, the MPAA, and others.

~Mr. Bad

P.S. Myself, though, I happen to support and participate in the
piracy. Hell, it's the informational equivalent of busting ideas out
of jail -- why not do it? Of course, I'll probably regret it when I've
destroyed the Music Industry and the last note of music ever made
fades into eternity, but by that time I'll have several hundred Gb of
Oggs and I'll be able to console myself with them.

 /\____/\   Mr. Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org>
 \      /   Pigdog Journal | http://pigdog.org/ | *Stay*Real*Bad*
 |  (X \x)
 (    ((**) "If it's not bad, don't do it.
  \  <vvv>   If it's not crazy, don't say it." - Ben Franklin