[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun Feb 25 11:18:21 PST 2001

I have to admit that I have real conflicts over this one and not just
conflicts of interest. Sony is a major investor in TiVo (my employer) and
I *can* see it from their perspective.

That said:

1) I don't believe RIAA has an inherent right to make a living;
2) I do feel that a lot of the contracts in the music industry are unfair;

but:

3) I also believe that copyright holders have the absolute right to have
an interest in how their stuff is distributed.
4) Those contracts, fair or not, were agreed upon by both parties.

My feeling is that DECREASING CD prices and INCREASING the tax on copying
media would better serve the public good. CD producers need to get the
maximum profit, which happens when the quantity demanded at a specific
price point peaks.

The recording industry claims that their revenue stream has fallen. This
means that, given their price point, the quantity demanded has dropped.
Let's assume that this was not an early recession indicator (which is
another time when people stop buying recordings), but rather due to the
technology shift a la Napster.

What this says to me is that the price curve has changed and they're
reacting emotionally rather than as economists. The correct response would
be to lower prices. Of course, they've never done that in history.

--
_Deirdre              deirdre@deirdre.net         http://www.deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams