[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Karsten M. Self karsten@ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 25 02:00:38 PST 2001

on Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 06:53:28PM -0800, Mr . Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org) wrote:

>     RIS> IMO - we need a legal recource.  The question shouldn't be if
>     RIS> Napster and p2p is violating copyright...the question for
>     RIS> public policy is - Does Napster serve the public good ...
>
> I think that you're gravely, gravely mistaken about what's at stake
> here. If you think what is going on is about making and sharing copies
> of digital music, well... pshaw, is all I have to say.
>
> The question is whether it will be possible in the future for petty
> tyrants like the RIAA, the MPAA, the Church of Scientology or WHOEVER
> to use bullying, extrajudicial tactics to prevent any flow of
> information that they don't like. If the thought of that doesn't scare
> you, well, I don't know what to say.
>
> There are 3 prongs of defense here to take:
>
>         1) The legalistic defense -- using legislatures to pass
>            legislation asserting freedoms, using bureaucracies to do
>            it, and using the courts to uphold it. Players here: EFF,
>            others?
>
>         2) The technical defense -- using improvements in encryption
>            and steganography to make it difficult to stop the flow of
>            information. Players here: Mojonation, Freenet Project,
>            Gnutella development groups, etc.
>
>         3) The social defense -- embarassing the petty tyrants that
>            are doing the bullying. Players here: 2600, RTMark, =some=
>            linux-elitists.

Students of Lessig will note a fourth prong:  the market.

There are two tacks to this:  supply and demand.

On the supply side, there are the content providers^W^W artists who will
abandon the industry cabalists and strike out on their own -- the
Greatful Dead, Courney Love, Dr. Dre, Stephen King.  If this is a
preferable mode of operation (economically speaking), expect it to grow.

On the demand side, there is the prospect of ignoring legal avenues of
procuring IP goods and pirating them directly.

We're seeing pieces of both sides to date, not sure which (or what else)
will grow.