[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Feb 25 01:39:37 PST 2001

Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:

> I hope they completely shut down napster and then increase

Of course they should shut down Napster, such broken systems
should not be allowed to exist.

> CD prices to about 40 dollars a CD.

Why should I care, I stopped buying CDs when they went up to $20
hereabouts.

> IMO - we need a legal recource.  The question shouldn't be

IMO, if you think that "legal" means just, I want a share of
whatever you've been smoking.

> if Napster and p2p is violating copyright...the question for
> public policy is - Does Napster serve the public good ...

The question is that public policy should not have a too far
reaching impact.

> We need a legal solution...because Sony is right...
> The public is stupid and they WILL firewall everything,
> they will take your computer away from you, and they will

I'm really interested as to how the Man will try to do that.
You can't firewall everything, since this means effectively
shutting the Net down. And far too much money is made online
globally to allow that. As to hardware, you can't remove
existing hardware from circulation, and there are many sources
of it, and the fabbing threshold goes down, not up.

> succeed to controlling the publics ability to think...
> and the public will like thank them for it..

Why are you interested about the general public?