[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sat Feb 24 21:32:41 PST 2001

> I didn't think I insulted you, but if I did I apologize.

So do I.  You didn't know me, and didn't know my previous positions in
regard to fair use.

> Actually, I think you put too much emphasis on the law. Most of the
> hassling of people never gets to court. We're talking about ISP
> account shutdowns, threats of long drawn-out lawsuits, attacks through
> Network Solutions, etc. etc. Our Side tends to win the court battles,
> but not the out-of-court battles.

We agree about what we are observing.  Preventing this however, IMO, is a
political that needs to be addressed.  We must be able to exercise our rights
freely if they are to be worth anything.  If a copyright activity chills the
excerice of a political freedom, that is in of itself a reason to change the
law, IMO.

> We have a theoretical but not a practical right to fair use, and that
> divide is getting worse every day.

Bingo!!

If Linux had to be started today, I question whether it would have been
capable of being brought to the public under todays legal constraints.

> Your message was about Napster and the price of CDs. Quoting you,
>
>         "the question for public policy is - Does Napster serve the
>         public good ... "

I ment this only in light of I hope it gets the public into a
hoping mad frenzy.

> But I'm glad that we're talking about the same thing.
>
>     >> There are 3 prongs of defense here to take:
>
>     RIS> I disagree.  It's a one prong problem and a one prong
>     RIS> defense.  The problem is political and the solution is legal.
>
> Cool. I'm backing you all the way, and you take the path that you
> think is important to get the job done. I completely agree that it's
> important to deal with politics and legal schtuff.

I would hope you can help in changing the current political enviorment.  In
some respects this is so much more difficult than creating a technological
work around the legal issues.  And if you think about it, it is not likely
that any of these devices can give anything but a temperary done to really
protecting the public, why making outlws of freedom fighters in the eyes of
the public.

I'm not saying to stop development of these solutions.  But I am saying that
we need a polical vicorty here, and we need it soon, before the great
bulk of human knolwedge is available only by an hourly rental fee and under
conditions in which it's use worthless.

Ruben
--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions