[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sat Feb 24 20:36:46 PST 2001

    RIS> I'm going to try to answer this without getting to flaming on
    RIS> this.  First - I forgive you for insulting me, since you
    RIS> don't know me...

I didn't think I insulted you, but if I did I apologize.

    RIS> Your really underestimating the amount of damage which is
    RIS> being presently done, and the importance of the legal basis
    RIS> to protection of fair use.

Actually, I think you put too much emphasis on the law. Most of the
hassling of people never gets to court. We're talking about ISP
account shutdowns, threats of long drawn-out lawsuits, attacks through
Network Solutions, etc. etc. Our Side tends to win the court battles,
but not the out-of-court battles.

We have a theoretical but not a practical right to fair use, and that
divide is getting worse every day.

    >> If you think what is going on is about making and sharing
    >> copies of digital music, well... pshaw, is all I have to say.

    RIS> Well - you are incorerect about what I think.  But I have no
    RIS> idea how you extracted this from my message.

Your message was about Napster and the price of CDs. Quoting you,

        "the question for public policy is - Does Napster serve the
        public good ... "

But I'm glad that we're talking about the same thing.

    >> There are 3 prongs of defense here to take:

    RIS> I disagree.  It's a one prong problem and a one prong
    RIS> defense.  The problem is political and the solution is legal.

Cool. I'm backing you all the way, and you take the path that you
think is important to get the job done. I completely agree that it's
important to deal with politics and legal schtuff.

Me, I'm going to the Bammies. Anybody else? Aaron, you brought this
shit up -- how are we going to make this happen? Do you have some
other ideas? Or were you just talking out your ass? Are you with us or
agin us, Aaron?

~Mr. Bad

 /\____/\   Mr. Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org>
 \      /   Pigdog Journal | http://pigdog.org/ | *Stay*Real*Bad*
 |  (X \x)
 (    ((**) "If it's not bad, don't do it.
  \  <vvv>   If it's not crazy, don't say it." - Ben Franklin