[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sat Feb 24 18:53:28 PST 2001

    RIS> IMO - we need a legal recource.  The question shouldn't be if
    RIS> Napster and p2p is violating copyright...the question for
    RIS> public policy is - Does Napster serve the public good ...

I think that you're gravely, gravely mistaken about what's at stake
here. If you think what is going on is about making and sharing copies
of digital music, well... pshaw, is all I have to say.

The question is whether it will be possible in the future for petty
tyrants like the RIAA, the MPAA, the Church of Scientology or WHOEVER
to use bullying, extrajudicial tactics to prevent any flow of
information that they don't like. If the thought of that doesn't scare
you, well, I don't know what to say.

There are 3 prongs of defense here to take:

        1) The legalistic defense -- using legislatures to pass
           legislation asserting freedoms, using bureaucracies to do
           it, and using the courts to uphold it. Players here: EFF,
           others?

        2) The technical defense -- using improvements in encryption
           and steganography to make it difficult to stop the flow of
           information. Players here: Mojonation, Freenet Project,
           Gnutella development groups, etc.

        3) The social defense -- embarassing the petty tyrants that
           are doing the bullying. Players here: 2600, RTMark, =some=
           linux-elitists.

You seem to think that 1) is the only one that matters. Frankly, I
think that 1) has limited value, and gets to be practically unworkable
when you're talking about a global Internet. In many places around the
world, the government -is- the petty tyrant. In others, the government
is either wholly owned and operated by the P.T. or is so small in
comparison to the p.t. that they can't do much of anything.

I won't even get in to the whacked idea that if things get really bad
the proletariat will rise up and demand just laws. Time and again it's
been proven that this doesn't happen -- making things worse in order
to point out the injustice is just totally ineffective.

I think the other 2 prongs are crucial. I think we're best at 3), and
we should make it happen.

Anyways, who's up for hitting the Bammies?

~Mr. Bad

 /\____/\   Mr. Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org>
 \      /   Pigdog Journal | http://pigdog.org/ | *Stay*Real*Bad*
 |  (X \x)
 (    ((**) "If it's not bad, don't do it.
  \  <vvv>   If it's not crazy, don't say it." - Ben Franklin