[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sat Feb 24 13:37:08 PST 2001

"Mr.Bad" wrote:

> Hey, I completely agree. Ask Don -- this has been an issue I've harped
> on with the Freenet people before.

Not only you. They look a bit like babes in the woods, imo.

> I was just thinking that it would be cool to do a p2p system based on
> SMTP, GnuPG, and reasonably good stego. You could lift the routing
> model straight out of Freenet, but instead of making TCP connections,
> send mail that says, "Bob, how about a game of golf? -Fred" to
> innocent-sounding addresses like "bobjohnson@tyrell.com".

You can send mails with lots of high-entropy attachements. Everything
else has too low payload and hence means too high traffic. Otoh, then
you'd look just like a spammer.

> Messages that aren't GPG'd and stego'd, or aren't from a known trusted
> partner, go silently to the shitcan.

The question of only linking up to few trusted partners does make sense,
given that n degrees of separation (low local connectivity) allows you
to route stuff globally.

> I dunno, seems like a good idea to me.

Agreed. Blocking port 25 is not something which many ISPs will contemplate
right now.